Saturday, March 31, 2007

Griff's American Garlic Parmesan Spread

Last weekend my wife Sue was cooking some of her fantastic spaghetti and sausage, and I decided I want to concoct something new, but I didn't want to put too much work into it as I was feeling pretty lazy... So I said, "Hey, I'll do the garlic bread!"

I decided that instead of doing the usual--spreading some butter on the bread sprinkling a little minced garlic on it and maybe a little grated cheese--I thought, why not create my own garlic spread? So, I thought for awhile about what ingredients would taste good together in a spread. It turned out to be a real winner. Here's what I came up with:

Ingredients:

1 stick (4 oz.) butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup Italian dressing (I prefer Good Seasons® that you mix yourself)
2 tbsp. mayonnaise
1/2 cup dried, grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp. dried basil
2 tsp. dried parsley leaves
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper

Instructions:

In a mixing bowl, blend all of the ingredients together well. Cut a loaf of Italian or French bread lengthwise in two, or in slices, spread the mixture on the flat surfaces and heat in an oven or toaster oven until the edges of the bread are golden brown. Makes more than enough for a very large loaf of bread. Just refrigerate what's left, and make some garlic bread by the slice for the next couple of days!